Saturday 9 August 2014

Whose Afraid Of The Big Black Dog ?


WHO'S AFRAID OF THE BIG BLACK DOG ? **12th AUGUST 2014** REPUBLISHED POST: Since originally publishing this poem last week, Robin Wiliams has died in circumstances concurrent with suicide after a battle with depression. The Black Dog of depression is indeed something that is totally unpredicatble and an utter mystery to all beyond the sufferer as we each experience it in our own unique, terrifying way.

With heartfelt respect to this great actor, inspirational hero to me, I dedicate this republication of my poem and vow to keep striving in my ongoing battles and determination to focus on positivity and inspiration wherever I can find it. I found it readily in Robin Williams and at this sad time of his passing my heart is truly heavy.

*************************************************************************
Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
Why - the pigs whose houses fell !
And Red Riding Hood
In the deep dark wood
Had reason to fear as well.

But a Big Black Dog leaves you alive for dead ...
You feel nothing inside , you're a stranger
No house of bricks
Or woodsman's tricks
Can do much to stave off the danger.

 Depression is dangerous - it threatens your life
With invisible hands in your gloves -
It's a menacing claw
That is both you and not yours,
That grabs and pushes and shoves.

But heroes and heroines make peace with their Dog
Tame him and set loose his chain ...
He may wander or stray
But accepting his way
Is making a truce with pain

For me, a quiet stand off works in the woods
( I am the girl in the red ...)
I have shown him my hand -
 I'm prepared to stand …
With nothing inside my head.

And I notice he'll sit as I watch him
Waiting for me to flinch
But I'm not giving in
I'm not budging
I'm not giving the Black Dog an inch.

If I let him pass by he'll return
Unchecked again and again
I would rather my way
Be how things should stay
With a peace I can bear to remain.

*********************************************************************************

Thank you again to the talented Diana Muller  for her artwork from her beautiful pen and ink series.

1 comment:

  1. Great poem. That black dog can be brought down to size, he doesn't look so big when you stand and look him in the eye. There is hope.RIP Robin. He never hid his problems. Unfortunately they beat him. Then we see ignorant remarks all over social media, that he was selfish as he has kids, or that he was a rich actor so what did he have to worry about. It'll take a long time to shine a light on the ignorance, but I think the momentum is building, as long as we keep on telling our stories.

    ReplyDelete